After the copyright quiz, I really began to think about my internet usage. Often, I get persuaded by different blogs and information on the Internet. If I do not know how to properly cite or identify accurate information, how can I expect my students too?! I will NEVER forget the first assignment I turned in during my first semester of college. I received a D! Why? I used Wikipedia as the primary source of my paper. I had no idea that it was not a scholarly source. As a teacher, we have to realize that media is a powerful peer pressure on youth. The amount of information on the internet is ENDLESS. When it comes to assignments, I think it is important that my students understand copyright laws. As one of my professors at AUM states all the time, "Cite. Cite. Cite! You had to learn this information somewhere!" I also want my students to know where to get information and proper search engines to use. During the first week of class, I will thoroughly stress safety precautions when using Internet communication tools and social networking sites. Although we may be using new ways to send information back and forth and assignments will not always be submitted in the form of a paper, correct spelling and grammar is expected. The do's and do not's of proper internet etiquette will be emphasized. My objective is to make sure they do not make the same mistakes I made in undergrad, and the proper way to research, identify, and cite accurate information.
No comments:
Post a Comment